Lauren E. Kokai, PhD
Scaife Hall, Suite 6B
3550 Terrace Street
Dr. Kokai is a visiting research instructor in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and a member of the Adipose Stem Cell Research Center. She earned her PhD from the University of Pittsburgh in 2009 from the Department of Bioengineering and completed a dissertation on polymer drug delivery vehicles for nerve regeneration. Dr. Kokai also has experience in designing and implementing testing strategies for pre-Product Design feasibility analysis and has worked for a leading international pharmaceutical company, Allergan Medical in Santa Barbara, CA. While at Allergan, Dr. Kokai collaborated with marketing and clinical teams to conduct user interviews and expert panel product reviews to develop tissue engineered products for soft tissue regeneration. She currently manages multiple industry collaborations with aesthetic and reconstructive goals in soft tissue regeneration.
- Kokai, L.E., and Rubin, J.P. “Discussion: “The Effect of Pressure and Shear on Autologous Fat Grafting,” Accepted by Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, January 2012.
- Lin, Y.-C.; Ramadan, M.; Van Dyke, M.; Kokai, L.E.; Philips, B.J.; Rubin, J.P.; Marra, K.G. "Keratin Gel Filler for Peripheral Nerve Repair in a Rodent Sciatic Nerve Injury Model," Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2012, 129(1):67-78. View Abstract »
- Kokai, L.E., Bourbeau, D., Weber, D., McAtee, J.L., Marra, K.G. “Sustained Growth Factor Delivery Promotes Axonal Regeneration in Long Gap Peripheral Nerve Repair,” Tissue Engineering, Part A, 2011, 17(9-10):1263-75. View Abstract »
- Ghaznavi, A.M., Kokai, L.E., Lovett, M.L., Kaplan, D.L., Marra, K.G. “Silk Fibroin Conduits: A Cellular and Functional Assessment of Peripheral Nerve Repair,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, 2011. In Press.
- Kokai, L.E., Ghaznavi, A.M., Marra, K.G. “Incorporation of Double-Walled Microspheres into Polymer Nerve Guides for the Sustained Delivery of Glial Cell Line-Derived Neurotrophic Factor,” Biomaterials, 2010, 31(8): 2313-2322. View Abstract »
- Kokai, L.E., Tan, H-P., Jhunjhunwala, S., Little, S.R., Frank, J.W., Marra, K.G. “Effect of an Anionic Surfactant on Polymer Phase Separation During Biphasic Double-Walled Microparticle Formation,” Journal of Controlled Drug Delivery, 2010, 141:168-176. View Abstract »
- Kokai, L.E., Lin, Y-C., Oyster, N.M., Marra, K.G. “Diffusion of Soluble Factors through Degradable Polymer Nerve Guides: Controlling Manufacturing Parameters,” Acta Biomaterialia Septmber 2009. 5(7) 2540 - 2550. View Abstract »
- Kokai, L.E., Rubin, J.P., Marra, K.G. “The Potential of Adipose-Derived Adult Stem Cells as a Source of Neuronal Progenitor Cells,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery October 2005. 116(5) 1453-1460. View Abstract »